Dark and deep web have 70% of the internet pages and sites, which cannot be visible with a regular browser. The dark web gives you access to deep links and pages where people can speak loud and whistleblowing. It’s an excellent place to find history, authentic research, gather facts, and a lot more. The Tor browser is generally used for accessing the dark web, however, it is not reliable anymore, and hence you need to use the best VPN for the dark web to browse more privately.
The dark web gives you freedom of everything, but hey! It’s not safe there. That’s the same reason why these sites never come to the surface of the regular web. The most important threats include identity and credential theft, malicious viruses, hiring hackers, and even buying spyware and malware.
For all these reasons, many governments like China have banned users from accessing the dark web. Because of its association with criminal activities, users are always suspected of accessing the dark web even if they aren’t involved in doing any illegal stuff. But by using the best dark web you can easily get away with these issues.
But which VPNs work best on the dark web? Let’s find out about them.
Quick List Of Best VPNs for The Dark Web / Deep Web
1. NordVPN: 1. NordVPN: 30-day refund policy, you can enjoy Netflix, Torrenting, and gaming simultaneously. 4800+ servers around the world. Works with Mac, Android, Win, and iPhone. www.nordvpn.com
2. Surfshark: works with Netflix, fastest torrenting, great gaming with low ping. 3200+ servers around the world, compatible with devices. 30-day Free trial www.surfshark.com
3. ProtonVPN: provide fastest servers, and access to US Netflix and also allow torrenting. You can have a great gaming experience. Compatible with all devices. www.protonvpn.com
4. ExpressVPN: The huge number of servers, great with Netflix and torrenting, 30-day refund policy. Compatible with every device and router www.expressvpn.com
5. CyberGhost: enormous servers list, you can enjoy torrenting and Netflix with great speed. You can unblock geographical restriction – 30-day free trial www.cyberghost.com
6. VyprVPN: this provider privacy really seriously, many servers and works with Torrenting and Gaming. 30-day refund policy and free trial www.vyprvpn.com
Six Best VPNs for the Dark Web
A speaker in one of the TEDTalk episodes, while highlighting the popularity of the dark web, revealed that the Tor browser receives 2.5 million users to access the dark web. But, the Tor browser comes with some significant security flaws; you must use the best VPN for the dark web like the ones mentioned below:
- NordVPN: Dark Web Monitor feature and 25 optimized servers for accessing the Tor browser.
- ExpressVPN: Launched hidden Tor services and uses several advanced security-centric features.
- SurfShark: Access the best Tor websites, AES-256 bit encryption, and follow a no-log policy.
- ProtonVPN: Access onion sites without setting up the Tor browser, and Tor nodes establish a new route on each VPN session
- CyberGhost: NoSpy servers and the dedicated IP address make your activities more anonymous over the dark web.
- VyprVPN: Comes with Anonobox router for accessing the Tor network safely, uses the Chameleon protocol for fast speed and security.
Now, let’s dive into more details about each VPN provider.
NordVPN makes up the list of the best VPN for the dark web because it hides your IP address and encrypts the data traffic before you connect to the Onion network. The VPN comes with an impressive Onion over Tor feature that allows you to access the Tor browser with an extra layer of security and encryption.
While using NordVPN, you don’t need to download the Tor browser. The VPN offers specialty servers with 25 optimized servers for accessing the Tor browser. Instead of using additional software, connect to these servers, and your data will eventually be routed. In this way, you can bypass the Tor vulnerabilities and safely access the dark web.
Recently, NordVPN has launched a fantastic Dark Web Monitor feature that defends your data security over the network. This helpful security tool silently scans the web and informs you about your leaked credentials on the dark web.
By navigating into the Settings menu of your NordVPN app, you can turn on this feature and protect your data from getting exposed. If you’re being notified via email about your leaked credentials, you can use the NordPass password manager and create a strong password for all your accounts. However, this feature is only available on Android, iOS, and MacOS apps.
The VPN uses a kill switch and dedicated IP address feature that ensures that no one can track your activities via your IP address. Apart from this, NordVPN follows a strict no-log policy and uses robust encryption and VPN protocols (NordLynx and OpenVPN) that enhance your security on the dark web. You can even use the CyberSec feature and block all ads using the dark web.
02. Surfshark VPN
Surfshark allows users to access the .onion sites and thus is yet another best VPN for the dark web. It offers Tor over VPN compatibility, and by encrypting the data makes you more private on the dark web. The VPN enables users to use the best Tor websites and ensures a worthwhile browsing experience on the dark web.
It is a full-fledged VPN provider whose popularity is often linked to the features it offers. SurfShark uses the Clean Web feature that helps in preventing the malicious ads that can infect your device with malware or viruses while you browse the dark web. Moreover, it uses state-of-the-art AES-256 bit encryption along with secure tunneling protocols such as WireGuard and OpenVPN that protect your online identity and data traffic from all snooping eyes within the dark web.
SurfShark is also a private VPN so it won’t record or share your activities with anyone. It even has a verified log audit report that proves that they never retain users’ data logs. Hence, you can use SurfShark VPN on the dark web without fearing about the collection of data logs. You can even use SurfShark VPN in China or other countries where the Tor browser is banned. It uses the camouflage mode and no borders mode that helps in bypassing censorship and internet restrictions.
ProtonVPN is again among the best VPN for the dark web because of its Tor over VPN feature. You can access reliable onion sites without setting up the Tor browser by enabling this feature. The ProtonVPN Tor nodes, while connecting you with the Tor network, establish a new route each time you open up the VPN session. It shows that the Tor nodes don’t receive any information about the users and all your activities remain private.
Apart from this, ProtonVPN offers several impressive features that help defend against attacks on the dark web. You can connect to the secure core servers available in the premium plan and route your traffic via multiple servers. However, this can somehow impact your browsing speed. Also, you can get rid of online malware and other threats on the dark web by using the NetShield Ad-blocker feature.
The VPN uses strong encryption and protocols that make your online activities more private and anonymous. It is also a no-log VPN provider that doesn’t retain data and proves its stance on keeping users’ activities confidential on the dark web.
ExpressVPN is a secure and private VPN provider that allows users to access the dark web safely. It has launched hidden services within the Tor network. These .onion sites provide easier access to the dark web via the Tor browser even if they reside in oppressive regimes. Moreover, it helps Tor users to retain greater online anonymity and hinders government censorship.
To further maintain your online security on the dark web, ExpressVPN uses several advanced security-centric features. Like, the VPN has its private DNS servers that ensure that your DNS requests are not leaked. Also, with the trusted server technology, the data is stored temporarily on the RAM-only servers and is deleted permanently after every session. The VPN uses uncrackable AES-256 bit encryption and Lightway and OpenVPN protocol that ensures no one breaks into your privacy.
ExpressVPN is one of the most reliable VPN providers for accessing the dark web because it follows a strict no-log policy and doesn’t keep traces of your activities on the dark web. Furthermore, the VPN doesn’t leak your IP address and exposes you. For this purpose, it uses the network lock feature that disconnects you from the internet when the VPN connection drops.
05. CyberGhost VPN
CyberGhost VPN is the best VPN for the dark web because of its compatibility with the Tor browser. Like other top-tier VPN providers, CyberGhost also allows users to access the Tor browser safely and securely. By using military-grade encryption and WireGuard and OpenVPN protocol, CyberGhost ensures that users’ data and online security aren’t compromised while they browse the dark web.
The VPN provider exhibits a strict no-log policy that makes it pretty clear that it doesn’t record your IP address and activity logs. Moreover, it uses various features that boost your digital security on the dark web. The VPN offers specialized NoSpy servers and the dedicated IP address option that you can use and make your activities more anonymous over the dark web. Besides, it doesn’t leak your IP address or DNS requests and prevents government surveillance and ISP tracking.
The VPN also has launched the Security Suite Program that includes antivirus software and other security-enhancing tools. You can use it on the dark web and fight against viruses and other potential risks. Also, the speeds are fast, and the server network is vast enough to prevent bandwidth throttling issues. So, you should consider using CyberGhost VPN on the dark web.
VyprVPN is another excellent option to consider using on the dark web. It uses the industry’s highest AES-256 bit encryption and various secure tunneling protocols to protect your data from all prying eyes. The VPN also uses the Chameleon protocol that ensures fast speed, and further increases your online security on the dark web.
By downloading the Anonobox router on your device, VyprVPN allows the users to access the Tor network safely. It even uses network firewalls to maintain your online security. While using VyprVPN, be fearless because none of your data will be recorded or shared with third parties and ISPs. It is a genuinely private VPN because it belongs to the privacy-friendly jurisdiction of Switzerland. Also, it follows a zero-log policy and is being verified by a famous law audit firm.
The VPN uses perfect security and privacy-centric features to ensure top-notch online safety and privacy, like a kill switch, IP leak protection, and a site blocker. It even comes with obfuscated servers that help in bypassing censorship and intensive surveillance. It means that you can even use VyprVPN in China for accessing the dark web.
How Is the Dark Web Dangerous?
The dark web is the unindexed and hidden part of the internet. Accessing the dark web is not easy. You need to connect to the Tor browser first and, during this course, have to bear with the risks associated with the Tor exit nodes. The dark is web dangerous and is hidden from the eyes of the common netizen because:
- It is the marketplace for buying and selling drugs, weapons, malware, and prohibited content.
- There are significant risks of being a target of identity theft, fraud, and other scams. The hackers there are pretty advanced and use great tactics to trick you.
- Hackers often sell compromised email accounts, banking credentials, financial data, and social media profiles to launch identity theft attacks.
- The threat actors even offer ransomware services and sell software that can infect the target’s device with malware, spyware, or viruses.
- The dark web is full of primarily malicious ads. If you click them, you could end up downloading malware on your device.
Moreover, your IP address is even visible to everyone, and they can track it to know about your online activities and identity. It means that the ISPs and government surveillance agencies can spy on your activities. You should use a reliable VPN on the dark web to prevent all these things.
How to Safely Access the Dark Web With a VPN?
Accessing the dark web via a VPN is the most reliable method, but since not every VPN is equal, you can risk your privacy securely if not using a VPN. You need to look for unique features within a VPN that safely helps access the dark web. An overview of such features is as follows:
- Look for Tor-specific features. The VPN you choose should offer compatibility with the Tor browser and have .onion sites for accessing the dark web.
- Always use a premium VPN instead of a free one because they are free from limitations and security vulnerabilities. If you have a limited budget, you can check out VPNs that offer a free trial.
- The VPN should use the top-notch level of encryption and VPN protocols to safeguard your data from all prying eyes.
- Ensure that the VPN doesn’t leak your IP address or DNS requests.
- It should follow a strict zero-log policy and not log or share your data with the ISPs or government surveillance agencies.
- Ensure that the VPN offers fast connection speed and an extensive server network, so you don’t experience slow internet speed or bandwidth throttling issues.
- The VPN should use additional security and privacy-focused features to increase your digital privacy on the dark web.
Fortunately, all the VPNs mentioned above come with these features and guarantee a secure experience while browsing the dark web.
Now, there are various legal reasons to access the dark web. Because of the illegal activities on the dark web, you should use a VPN for enhanced security and protection. A trustworthy VPN will safeguard your data traffic and ensure that no one knows about your online identity. Also, it even helps in preventing all the issues surrounding the dark web and guarantees a safe browsing experience. So, subscribe to a VPN now and enjoy browsing safely.