Torrenting might be a popular activity, but it comes with a hoard of risks specifically since it carves a path for users to download pirated content. Along with issues like ISP throttling, torrenting also poses a significant risk to your privacy. Therefore it is crucial to ensure anonymity and security through the best VPN for torrenting.
Torrent compatible VPNs keep your online identity hidden while ensuring consistent downloading speeds. Moreover, a VPN encrypts your torrent traffic preventing third-party or ISPs from monitoring your P2P activity. Since torrenting brings troubles along with it, only a handful of VPNs can guarantee a secure torrent downloading experience like:
- NordVPN: Hundreds of P2P-optimized servers, proxy setup for BitTorrent and uTorrent clients, and a 30-days refund policy.
- Surfshark: 18 dedicated P2P servers, offers fast speed and robust security and protection.
- ProtonVPN: Supports torrenting in the Plus plan, unlimited bandwidth, and comes with a split tunneling feature for better downloading speed.
- ExpressVPN: Download torrents by connecting to any of the 150+ dedicated P2P servers, split tunneling and network lock feature, and all with a 30-days money-back guarantee.
- CyberGhost: Optimized P2P servers for torrenting, follows a no-log policy, provides a top-notch level of security and protection.
These VPNs offer an ultimately secure and reliable torrenting experience for all its users. However, before making a staunch decision, it is best to explore a bit more about the best VPN for torrenting.
Five Best VPNs for Torrenting
Even though most VPNs claim to keep your data secure and private, they fail miserably within the P2P networks. The best VPNs for torrenting come with a perfect balance between speed, security, and server network, and with that, you enjoy a good torrenting experience. Below are the details of how each VPN helps in torrenting:
+ More than 5000 global servers
+ Panama-based VPN
+ Zero-logs VPN with the verified log-audit report
+ Up to six simultaneous connections
– No Split tunneling feature in the Mac app
1. NordVPN: 1. NordVPN: 30-day refund policy, you can enjoy Netflix, Torrenting, and gaming simultaneously. 4800+ servers around the world. Works with Mac, Android, Win, and iPhone. www.nordvpn.com
NordVPN supports torrenting and P2P file-sharing activities on their specialized servers. It comes with hundreds of P2P-optimized servers located in different countries like:
All the dedicated P2P servers offer unlimited bandwidth and ultra-fast downloading speed. The VPN even provides a top-notch level of safety to the users. It uses the secure NordLyx protocol and robust AES-256 bit encryption that hides the content of your torrent traffic. It even offers a SOCKS5 proxy that further helps in speeding up the downloading process. Besides this, the VPN even provides the proxy setup for BitTorrent and uTorrent clients and enhances your torrenting experience.
NordVPN provides built-in protection from torrent IP leaks and even uses a kill switch feature to disconnect you from the web and protect your IP address when the VPN connection drops. It even offers an impressive split tunneling feature that allows you to encrypt your torrent traffic while browsing the web with regular internet. However, Mac users, unfortunately, can’t benefit from the split tunneling feature because it’s available for Android and Windows OS.
02. Surfshark VPN
+ 3200 servers in 65 countries
+ Belongs from the British Virgin Island
+ Unlimited simultaneous connections
+ No-log policy with a verified log-audit report
– No SOCKS5 proxy
2. Surfshark: works with Netflix, fastest torrenting, great gaming with low ping. 3200+ servers around the world, compatible with devices. 30-day Free trial www.surfshark.com
Surfshark is another best VPN for downloading torrents that allow torrenting on 18 dedicated P2P servers. These servers are located in various corners of the world like:
The Surfshark offers unlimited bandwidth and thus ensures a fast downloading process, but if you feel that downloading takes much time, you can switch to the P2P-optimized servers. The VPN makes no mistake hiding your actual IP address and the torrent IP address, uses a kill switch feature, and even protects against IP leaks. You can use it on all popular torrent clients like uTorrent and qBitTorrent without worrying about your digital security.
The VPN offers a cleanweb feature that helps avoid intrusive ads while searching for popular torrent files. It uses state-of-the-art AES-256 bit encryption and WireGuard and OpenVPN protocols. You can switch between the protocols to keep a perfect balance between security and speeds.
You can add an extra layer of protection by enabling the split tunneling feature. It will encrypt the torrent-related activities and will somehow improve your downloading speed too. But, if you’re a Mac user, you won’t benefit from this feature. It isn’t recommended to use because it’ll slow down your downloading speed.
Moreover, SurfShark VPN lacks a SOCKS5 proxy, but it isn’t a big issue since it doesn’t offer encryption. Also, make sure not to use a single VPN account on more than five devices because it will impact the speeds again.
+ 1441 servers in 61 countries
+ Belongs from Switzerland
+ Up to ten multiple device connections
+ No-log VPN
– No support for SOCKS5 proxy
3. ProtonVPN: provide fastest servers, and access to US Netflix and also allow torrenting. You can have a great gaming experience. Compatible with all devices. www.protonvpn.com
ProtonVPN is yet another best VPN for torrenting because it offers P2P-optimized protocols that help in the safe downloading of torrents. All the servers provided in the plus plan allow torrenting without any speed or bandwidth issue. Some of the locations where P2P servers are located include:
ProtonVPN offers a basic free plan, and you can use it to test the VPN for its features, but it doesn’t support torrenting. You can enjoy unlimited streaming and torrent in the premium plus plan. The VPN offers several P2P-favored features like a kill switch, split tunneling, and perfect forward secrecy.
While using ProtonVPN for torrenting, your torrent traffic and online identity remain under the cover. It uses the industry’s highest AES-256 bit encryption and secure tunneling protocols to protect data traffic from ISP, potential hackers, and copyright trolls. ProtonVPN allows users to boost their digital security by connecting to the secure core servers, but it isn’t good to download torrents. It’s because it connects you to multiple servers and thus decreases the downloading speed. You can use ProtonVPN on all popular torrent downloading websites and enhance your experience.
+ 160 server locations in 94 countries
+ Verified zero-log VPN
+ Up to five device connections
+ Headquartered from the British Virgin Island
– No SOCKS5 proxy
4. ExpressVPN: The huge number of servers, great with Netflix and torrenting, 30-day refund policy. Compatible with every device and router www.expressvpn.com
ExpressVPN is the best VPN for torrenting that is famous among torrent downloaders. The VPN offers blazing-fast downloading speed, extensive server network, and security-focused features. Moreover, it offers 150 plus dedicated P2P servers located in:
- The US
- The UK
When connected with ExpressVPN, no one can identify your actual IP address within the P2P network. It protects from VPN leaks and uses a network lock feature that further strengthens and helps in protecting your IP address.
The AES-256 bit encryption and 4096-bit RSA key encrypt the torrent traffic and increase your online security while torrenting. It uses a proprietary Lightway protocol that uses ChaCha20 ciphers, boosting safety and speed. Thus, ExpressVPN is ideal for every Torrent downloader.
You can use the split tunneling feature for adding a security layer during downloading torrents. Though the VPN doesn’t offer the SOCKS5 proxy feature, it doesn’t impact your speeds. ExpressVPN offers consistent, fast downloading speed across all servers, and the lack of SOCKS5 doesn’t make any difference.
05. CyberGhost VPN
+ 7000 plus servers in 90+ countries
+ Safe jurisdiction of Romania
+ Connect up to seven multiple devices
+ No-log VPN
– No SOCKS5 proxy
5. CyberGhost: enormous servers list, you can enjoy torrenting and Netflix with great speed. You can unblock geographical restriction – 30-day free trial www.cyberghost.com
CyberGhost enjoys a good reputation for offering users robust digital security and privacy. It even provides a wide range of advanced safety and privacy features and works exceptionally well on torrent clients. It provides several P2P-optimized servers in countries like:
- The UK
Besides these, CyberGhost offers P2P servers in other locations too. As it provides the most extensive P2P server network thus, it is among the best VPN for torrenting. It provides fast downloading and torrent-specific features that make your downloading experience worth amazing.
The VPN uses uncrackable AES-256 bit encryption and OpenVPN and WireGuard protocol to protect your torrent traffic from spying eyes. It uses a kill switch and a split tunneling feature that further enhances your digital privacy and security while downloading torrents.
You can use the VPN on all popular devices and operating systems and enjoy unlimited torrenting. CyberGhost even offers impressive NoSpy servers and a dedicated IP address feature that makes your activities more anonymous and private. Like many other top-tier VPN providers, CyberGhost lacks the SOCKS5 proxy.
What Are the Dangers of Torrenting?
Torrenting falls into the gray area because of the risks and dangers. It’s ever as easy as it seems to download your favorite torrent files, and here are the reasons for it:
- While you download torrents, your IP address is not hidden in the P2P swarm. Any hacker or your ISP and copyright troll can track your P2P activities via your IP address.
- It’s challenging to recognize the reliability of the torrent file in the swarm. Any file could be embedded with malware, infecting anyone downloading it.
- Since there is no anonymity during torrenting, your ISP can track your activities by your IP address and throttle your connection for using too much bandwidth.
- The ISP, on insistence from the copyright owners, can sue you with DMCA notices and hefty fines.
Downloading torrents is full of risks and dangers. But with a few secure and reliable methods, you can ensure a safe downloading process. Follow this link and learn how to download torrents safely and securely.
How to Test a VPN for Torrenting?
Since torrenting is a risky affair, you can’t use any VPN. Using an unreliable or poorly configured VPN can put you in more trouble so, be wise while selecting a VPN for torrenting. To choose the best VPN for downloading torrents, you need to test a VPN on various aspects like:
- Ensure that the VPN supports torrenting on all major devices and operating systems.
- The VPN should offer P2P-optimized servers for the fast downloading of torrents.
- Ensure that the VPN provides some torrent-specific features like a kill switch, split tunneling, and SOCKS5 proxy to enhance your security while downloading torrents.
- It should not leak your IP address and use military-grade encryption and protocols to increase security and speed.
Apart from these, you can even consider some other factors like zero-logging policy, device connection, and safe jurisdiction. If a VPN comes with all these features, can you enjoy a secure torrent downloading process?
How to Test a VPN for Torrent IP Leak?
A VPN for torrenting hides your actual IP address and assigns you a temporary IP address. However, VPN providers leak the Torrent IP address and expose your P2P activities to all snooping eyes despite several claims. To prevent it, it’s crucial that you test the VPN for Torrent IP leaks.
To conduct a torrent IP leak test, you can use any of the following mentioned tools:
Visit the site and run a test. If the test result shows your actual IP address, your VPN is leaking your torrent IP, and you should consider using a reliable VPN for torrenting.
Best VPN Locations for Torrenting
Different countries have different rules for torrenting. The practice is illegal in Germany, Japan, and the UK. While in Australia, Canada, and China, the ISP has blocked the torrenting sites upon the request of the ISP. But, a couple of countries are regarded best for torrenting. These countries include:
These countries have no harsh or strict laws against torrenting. Thus, you can download torrents without fear but avoid downloading any copyrighted content.
How Safe Torrenting With a VPN?
A VPN is the best tool for downloading torrents safely. It is an anonymizing tool that helps torrent downloaders in the following ways:
- A legitimate VPN provider will hide your online identity and encrypt the torrent traffic.
- You can prevent IP leaks with the built-in IP leak protection feature and enable the kill switch feature.
- Some VPN providers even come with built-in malware protection, so by enabling it, you can prevent downloading malware on your device.
- You can download torrents quickly by connecting to the P2P-optimized servers, and your ISP won’t throttle your connection either.
Ensure that you use a reliable VPN provider that is not free and has all the essential features listed above.
Which Is the Best Free VPN for Torrenting?
You would find the best free VPN and consider using it, but most don’t support torrenting. Torrenting requires high bandwidth, fast downloading speed, and torrent-centric features like split tunneling and SOCKS5 proxy. Unfortunately, the majority of the free VPN providers don’t offer these features. Even if a few offer these features, you still can’t download torrents, and the issue is slow speed and limited bandwidth.
Free VPNs carry a monthly bandwidth that’s not more than 10GB of data each month. Using this data for torrenting will make your experience even worse. You won’t be able to find a relevant torrent file, or you might even find many torrenting sites blocked. Moreover, the free VPNs are famous for using trackers to track and record your activities. As they don’t use advanced security and privacy-focused features, they can result in data leaks. All this would only allow the ISPs or the copyright trolls to catch you for downloading torrents.
For all these reasons, it’s essential that you should use the best premium VPNs for torrenting. If you worry about the price, you can either opt for a free trial or benefit from the money-back guarantee offer.
Tips to Enhance Your Torrenting Experience
Here’s a quick overview of the tips that you need to follow to enhance your torrenting experience:
- Use a VPN.
- Use antivirus software.
- Avoid using a peerblock
- Use private torrent trackers
Using a combination of these safety and security methods will make sure you don’t face any unnecessary privacy issues while torrenting.
Downloading torrents is full of dangers, but you can reduce these risks with a VPN for torrenting. A VPN for torrenting goes beyond the idea of boosting your digital security and privacy while torrenting. It also connects you to the P2P-optimized servers and ensures a fast downloading process. Moreover, you can access all the blocked torrent websites and download reliable torrent files without the risk of harming your device with malware and viruses. Subscribe to the best free VPN for torrenting, as discussed above, and enjoy downloading torrents quickly and securely.