Using a Tor browser VPN might sound conflicting to many simply because the Tor browser is notorious for privacy and security despite its association with the Dark Web. Its reputation primarily stems from the layered encryption it offers. Apart from that, the browser also helps ensure an anonymous browsing experience by hopping your data through multiple nodes.
However, in slight contrast to its reputation, the Tor browser comes with its own set of flaws that can rupture the privacy bubble you need for complete online anonymity. For starters, layered encryption isn’t enough to ensure privacy in a world where online monitoring and surveillance are at their peak! Especially since the encryption layers come off at the exit node.
There is also the frustrating browsing speed issue due to ISP throttling issues and several other minor flaws. In short, with Tor, anyone with the proper means can intercept your traffic and snoop into your private information.
However, Tor does surpass every other private browser regarding the online security and privacy it offers. Therefore, it is best to mitigate the browser’s minor vulnerabilities through VPN. Fortunately, there are some of the best VPNs for the Tor browser available, for that matter.
Which VPN Is Most Compatlible With Tor?
Using a VPN over the Tor browser is the best way to access the Onion network while maintaining the top-notch level of online anonymity. The best Tor browser VPNs protect your online data and don’t expose your online identity to prying eyes. Finding the best Tor VPN can be a hassle, but as per several tests and reviews, you can use the following five VPNs along with the Tor Browser:
- NordVPN: Offers 25 optimized servers for accessing the Tor browser.
- ExpressVPN: Launched hidden .onion sites to bypass censorship and access the dark web.
- Surfshark: Provides the best Tor websites that ensure safe access.
- ProtonVPN: Offers Tor nodes that establish a new route on every VPN session.
- VyprVPN: Uses an Anonabox router that connects to the Tor network.
These VPNs come packed with remarkable privacy and security features along with perfect compatibility with the Tor browser. If you are curious to find out a bit more about them, here are the overviews you need:
Best VPNs For Tor Browser In 2022
1. NordVPN: 1. NordVPN: 30-day refund policy, you can enjoy Netflix, Torrenting, and gaming simultaneously. 4800+ servers around the world. Works with Mac, Android, Win, and iPhone. www.nordvpn.com
2. Surfshark: works with Netflix, fastest torrenting, great gaming with low ping. 3200+ servers around the world, compatible with devices. 30-day Free trial www.surfshark.com
3. ProtonVPN: provide fastest servers, and access to US Netflix and also allow torrenting. You can have a great gaming experience. Compatible with all devices. www.protonvpn.com
4. ExpressVPN: The huge number of servers, great with Netflix and torrenting, 30-day refund policy. Compatible with every device and router www.expressvpn.com
5. CyberGhost: enormous servers list, you can enjoy torrenting and Netflix with great speed. You can unblock geographical restriction – 30-day free trial www.cyberghost.com
6. VyprVPN: this provider privacy really seriously, many servers and works with Torrenting and Gaming. 30-day refund policy and free trial www.vyprvpn.com
NordVPN is one of the top choices with regard to its use on the Tor network. It offers an impressive Tor browser compatibility feature that ensures insurmountable privacy and security within the Tor network. It shields your data traffic from the ISPs and third parties, making it impossible for them to track you.
The VPN sends your data traffic via an encrypted tunnel where the NordLynx and OpenVPN protocols add a security layer over your browsing activities. Additionally, it uses the secure AES-256 bit encryption ciphers to encrypt your data, preventing third parties from snooping.
NordVPN hides your IP address and changes your geographical location before connecting to the Tor network, making it easy to get away from the ISP eyes. Moreover, with NordVPN you don’t need to specifically download the Tor browser to access the Onion Network. Instead, all you need to do is use the Onion over VPN features which enable direct connection to the Onion Network.
Moreover, it uses a kill switch and IP leak protection feature that ensures that your ISP or the snoopers monitoring the Tor exit nodes don’t know about your actual IP address. NordVPN is a reliable VPN to use on the Tor network because it follows a strict zero-logging policy which means that whatever you do online is neither recorded nor shared.
The connection speeds are never an issue with NordVPN. It has a server network spread in 60 countries, while 25 servers are optimized for accessing the Tor browser. Connect to any of these servers, and you directly connect to the Tor network and don’t require to download any additional software. By providing fast and consistent speed, NordVPN helps bypass ISP throttling and boosts the Tor browser speeds.
ExpressVPN is another great VPN to use alongside the Tor browser that provides the fastest connection speeds across all the servers. By connecting to any of its 3000+ plus servers in 94 countries, you can get easy access to the Onion network. The VPN app even allows the users to test the VPN for speed before connecting to it and ensure that they pick up the fastest server.
Besides speed, ExpressVPN is also best in providing robust online security and protection to Tor users. It uses uncrackable AES-256 bit encryption and Lightway protocol to strengthen your security and protect against Tor vulnerabilities. The Lightway protocol is ExpressVPN’s own protocol that uses the ChaCha20 cipher that enhances security and browsing speeds. ExpressVPN has even launched hidden .onion sites that help to circumvent censorship and access the dark web. Using these sites will also protect you from the Tor exit node vulnerabilities, which is why it is amongst the best VPN for the Tor browser.
Additionally, the VPN even offers a range of features that boost your digital life. For example, the trusted DNS technology temporarily stores your activities data and deletes them after every section. It also uses a stealth mode to access the Tor network in highly authoritarian countries like Russia and China.
Surfshark is one of the best Tor VPNs that, besides offering excellent compatibility with the Tor browser, provides the best Tor websites that ensure safe access to the dark web. The VPN hides your IP address and protects the data traffic from all prying eyes, and promises a secure browsing experience over the internet.
It uses state-of-the-art AES-256 bit encryption along with secure tunneling protocols and authentication keys to safeguard your data on the Onion network. SurfShark VPN is a zero-log VPN which means that it doesn’t keep any records of your browsing and connection logs; thus, whatever you do on the Onion network remains hidden.
The speeds offered by the VPN are pretty impressive and don’t disappoint the users. It has 3200+ servers spread in 65 countries; you can select any of them and connect to the Tor browser. All the servers offer compatibility and fast browsing speed on the Tor browser.
Moreover, you can enhance your online protection on the Tor browser by using various features that SurfShark offers. It protects against IP leaks and even uses private DNS servers to ensure that no one can view what you intended to search on the web. It even offers an impressive double VPN feature that doubles up the encryption, but since it slows down the internet speed, you shouldn’t use it on the Tor browser.
The ProtonVPN is also among the best Tor browser VPN you can consider using. You don’t need to set up a Tor browser to access the Onion network. You have to enable the Tor over VPN feature and start browsing the Tor network. The VPN offers Tor nodes that establish a new route on every VPN session. Doing so proves that the Tor nodes don’t collect or store any information about the users.
ProtonVPN offers blazing fast speed and enables users to use various security and privacy-focused features on the Tor network. Apart from this, the VPN further enhances your data security within the Tor network by using the industry’s highest encryption level and secure protocols.
Also, it routes your data traffic via the secure VPN encrypted tunnel before connecting to the Tor browser that enhances your online security. However, ensure that when you use ProtonVPN on the Tor browser, don’t connect to the secure core servers. They work as a double VPN feature and might slow down your speed.
Using ProtonVPN on the Tor network will make you utterly private and anonymous. It is because it is a no-log VPN that never records or shares your browsing data. Moreover, it belongs to a safe jurisdiction of Switzerland that respects users’ privacy and isn’t subject to any anti-privacy laws.
VyprVPN is a reliable VPN provider that enjoys a good reputation for protecting users’ online identities and offering higher security levels. The VPN provides an Anonabox router that connects the Tor network with the firmware router. It offers robust online security to users and compatibility with the Tor browser and thus is yet another best VPN for the Tor browser.
When you connect to the Anonabox router, it hides your IP address and encrypts the data traffic, making it difficult for anyone to track or recognize your identity. Moreover, the VPN uses strong encryption and WireGuard and OpenVPN protocols to secure your data using the Onion network. To ensure that your IP address doesn’t get leaked, it uses an advanced kill switch feature that disconnects you from the web when the VPN connection drops.
VyprVPN doesn’t offer an extensive server network, unlike many other top-tier VPN providers. It is assumed that VyprVPN speeds are not very fast, but it isn’t. The VPN uses the Chameleon VPN protocol that boosts up the connection speeds. It is also a no-log VPN and gives no room for the users to doubt its reliability. If you want to buy the VPN anonymously, it even accepts payment via bitcoins.
Factors to Consider While Choosing the Best VPN For Tor Browser
When choosing a VPN for the Tor browser, you need to closely look into the overall VPN’s features. It should use strong encryption and authentication keys and offer fast browsing speed and essential Tor-centric features. In case you already have a VPN provider in mind for consideration, you can see if it is compatible for Tor by looking at the following features:
- The VPN should be compatible with working with the Tor browser. Many VPNs fail to provide support, despite making claims. So, make sure that the one you’re choosing is among those that work with the Onion network.
- Ensure that the VPN uses top-notch encryption to protect the data traffic from snooping eyes.
- The best Tor VPN should have some Tor-centric features that guarantee ultimate privacy and security on the Onion network.
- Using the Tor browser itself results in slow connection speed so, ensure that the VPN you’re choosing offers consistently fast browsing speed. For this, you need to select a VPN with an extensive server network.
- Ensure that you use a premium and a no-log VPN provider. These VPNs are more reliable and private to use and don’t log or share your data with anyone.
- Don’t ignore the advanced security and privacy-focused features like a kill switch, IP and DNS leak protection, and malware blocker. These features help combat the Tor exit node vulnerability and further increase your digital privacy.
- Onion over VPN is an advanced feature that not all VPNs come with. Ensure that the VPN you choose includes it.
A lookout for these crucial elements can significantly eliminate your chances of subscribing to an unreliable VPN provider.
Why Use a VPN With Tor?
Tor browser, unlike other web browsers, is much more secure. It is among the few browsers that give access to the Onion network. However, the Tor browser, because of the security flaws it develops with time, and its working mechanism has become unreliable to use. To maintain your digital security on the Tor browser, you need to use it with a VPN. Using a VPN and Tor browser collectively is the best solution to get around the Tor browser issue. Here’s how a VPN for Tor browsers benefits the users:
- Your data is wholly encrypted, and there are no chances of the ISP or other snooping eyes invading your privacy.
- You can say goodbye to the slow speed while using the Tor browser. A VPN will connect you to the fastest servers and ensure a stable internet connection.
- A VPN masks your actual IP address and allows you to privately communicate or share confidential information.
- The VPN’s strong encryption and advanced features also help prevent the Tor exit node’s vulnerabilities.
So, if you want to use the Tor browser for anonymous browsing or accessing the dark web make sure you first connect to a VPN.
Is It Legal to Use a VPN on Tor Browser?
There is no harm in accessing the Onion network via a VPN. Using a VPN is completely legal on the Tor browser. A VPN adds an extra layer of security and protection while you browse the Tor network. However, keep in mind that you don’t use a VPN on the Tor network for some illegal activities.
Tor browser also provides access to the dark web, promoting criminal activities. Ensure that you don’t use a VPN for committing any harmful or unethical act because it won’t make the VPN usage legal. The service provider can permanently cancel your subscription.
Before entering the Tor network, you need to encrypt your data traffic and hide your online identity. As the Tor browser doesn’t protect your privacy and even makes you completely secure, you need to use a VPN. The best Tor browser VPN discussed above offers excellent compatibility with the Tor browser and makes no compromise in providing the top-notch level of online security and privacy. So, use any of these VPN providers and start browsing the Tor network safely.